According to the opinion that is most widely accepted among academics, vines seem to have been introduced into Friuli by a people known as the Eneti, who settled in this region between the 13th and 12th century B.C., but the main evidence of viticulture in the zone around Aquileia dates back to the Roman era.
The Greek Herodian, telling the story of the Emperor Maximinus, describes the countryside around Aquileia as a land adorned with leafy crowns, referring to the vines which, in pairs equidistant from the trees, formed what he calls “a joyous picture".
Bearing witness to the winemaking history of this region, chronicles recount how, in the year 237 A.D., the inhabitants of Aquileia destroyed the bridge over the River Isonzo, but that the dictator Maximinus succeeded in crossing it anyway by tying together empty containers (called “amasi”) used for the excellent local wine and covering them with bundles of sticks in order to traverse the river with ease.
The most trustworthy quotation is that from Pliny the Elder who, in the first century A.D., writes of “Pucinum” wine as being one of the most highly-prized of his time and as having definite therapeutic qualities, having had a positive effect on Livia, the wife of the Emperor Augustus, who lived to the ripe old age of 86.
Ca' Bolani owes its name to the ancient patrician Venetian family of the Counts Bolani, whose greatest exponent was Bishop Domenico Bolani (1514 – 1579), Governor in Friuli on behalf of the Venetian Republic as well its Ambassador at the Court of Edward VI of England. During the Council of Trent, in which he took part, he commissioned the Bolani Arch, erected in Udine in 1556, from the architect Andrea Palladio.